Monday, February 21, 2011

Oh, the places you've gone! pt2


Camping alongside the King River in the San Juaquin Valley, we had a most glorious view from our tent. Inside the tent... not so much. But much time was spent huddled in sleeping bags.

Back to the coast! We spent a night and day in Santa Cruz. This marked the first time I had swam in the Pacific. Despite the fact that it was June, the water was absolutely freezing. But invigorating and I find it thrilling to get beaten down by massive ocean waves.

The large crowds and packed freeways made our visit to SanFran short, but we did visit Golden Gate where I got a chance to take pictures of lots of pretty flowers - both outdoors and in the Conservatory. I never really thought I would see the Golden Gate Bridge for some reason, but I did. I was more interested in the depopulated land beyond. It was there, near Muir Woods where I had the best breakfast of my life - fresh peaches, fresh strawberries (we bought both at the farmers market in Sausalito the day before) and granola in yogurt with nutella break. Om Nom.

From there, we headed further up the coastline. While the weather was a bit chillier and the sun spent the day hiding behind clouds, I still took every opportunity to dip my feet (and sometimes more) in the powerful ocean. Before reaching the Oregon state line, we stopped at Redwoods Nat'l Park - although I was initially apprehensive about the rain that was falling, it proved to be for perfect ambiance for the forest.
Also, it was here where we saw an ostrich?!

In Oregon, we experienced the bounties of the Portland Farmers Market. In true Portland style, I looked through shelf after shelf of books at Powell's Books - a bookstore in downtown Portland that's a whole city block. After parousing, I enjoyed an authentic Oregon Chai Tea with a Voodoo Donut. So good, So Portland.

Outside the city limits, I drank deep from Multonmah Falls.

I have no images of myself in Idaho, although, rest-assured, I was there. Here, the Rockies came back into view while I took in bathroom graffiti and the vast snow-capped peaks.

Upon Adam's insistence, I also got my butt bruised by riding down a rocky river on an inflatable tube in Lava Springs. Nearby, in Soda Springs, I saw my first geyser. It was man-made, but still.

Driving home through Wyoming and South Dakota, we passed back over the mountains and returned to the great plains. I truly understand what it meant to be homesick, even though I didn't have a home to go back to. Even though there was still so much I wanted to see (Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons), it was time to stay in one place for a while. I had seen so much and needed time to take it all in.

Four months in to being 21 and look at all I had seen! Now it was time for a Minnesota summer.


3 comments: