Sunday, June 6, 2010

lava springs


 
We took the scenic route through Lava Spring, Idaho on our way towards Wyoming. On Main Street there were teenagers lazily walking down the middle of the road with big yellow and orange inflatable tubes tucked under their armpits. They were all heading in the same direction, so we followed them slowly through town. At the end of the road was a small gravel parking lot where a weedy path led down to the river.
We watched a group of kids walk down the path, jump into the water and onto their tubes. Adam immediately got giddy and pleaded to go. I relented. We drove back down mainsteet at one of two stands renting out the tubes - $3 per hour per tube. We got two and followed the footsteps of the drunk teenagers in front of us. We should have took more notice of the stratches and bruises on the others.
The water was much faster than we had expected, and filled with sharp rocks on the bottom of the shallow bed. Immediately we both hit our butts on one jutting up too high. 
Adam quickly got ahead of me as the current took him. Around a corner he warned to get to the edge, away from a bubbling rapid but I was too slow and the water plunged me into it. Cold and shocked I swam as fast as I could to the outer edge to regain my composure and jump back on the tube that was already fifty feet ahead of me downstream. Luckily Adam caught it in time.
Damn. And only half way done with the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment