Friday, August 12, 2011

Two four-letter words: Pika(s) and Lake(s)


This hike, easily one of my favorite in the entire park, is part of a five lake loop - Bear, Helene, Odessa, Fern, and Cub. Best started at the Bear Lake Trailhead, as most of the distance winds up being downhill and after 10+miles, all the uphill can be quite exhausting.

Bear Lake looking towards Long's Peak

Fireweed around Bear Lake

Past the Flattop Trail Jct, looking out into a sea of evergreens towards Bierstadt Lake
(which I hiked a couple of weeks ago.)

The trail opens up into a green meadow looking towards rocky hills.

August and still snow on the ground!

Back in the sunlight on a rocky path I hear what has become one of my favorite sounds...

...the squeak of a Pika!

This little guy sat around on the rocks near my feet for a while.


Back into the woods to Lake Helene

Climbing a bit off trail onto a nice rock overlook, you can see Lake Helene on the left, Notchtop Mtn on the right, and several waterfalls in between.

From the same overlook, looking into Odessa Gorge towards Odessa Lake

Lake Helene
High waters overflow a small stream bed looking out towards Odessa Gorge
The trail down to Odessa Lake, along the west side of Joe Mills Mtn*
(*one of my favorite coworkers is Joe Mills' granddaughter, Enos' grandniece, and Bob Flame's daughter!)

The trail follows a clear streaming originating from the southern end of Odessa Lake


Odessa Lake.
The waters were so clear, I watched the water soiled when rinsing my hands of dirt and sweat.



I sat for nearly an hour on the rock in the center, watching the sunlight flicker on the surface.



Back towards the main trail

First glimpses of Fern Lake
Fern Lake
Fern Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment