Wednesday, December 22, 2010

bi boon & manidoo giizis

Winter is officially here, although the big mountains of snow lining parking lots and streets tell me that it's been here for a while. Remembering what Bob Shimek of White Earth Land Recovery Project told us a few months ago, I'm trying to be thankful and appreciative of the weather - no matter how much it inconveniences me in the things I don't want to do anyways. He told the story of Kabibona'kan, the winter maker. He cautioned against feeling disdain for the cold, the snow, and the wind in the winter, likening our attitude towards the way a small child may be treated and made fun of at school - often these children develop feels of embarrassment, discontent, and even hate after years of being treated that way. Kabibona'kan is no different. Instead, we should recognize winter's art - the beauty of swirling and freezing snow, the glistening of snowflakes as they fall. After all, it's not easy to muster such strength all season.

There has been much snow and I have not been enjoying and appreciating it as much as I should have; in fact, I have not been enjoying and appreciating anything like I should be. I'm working towards changing that. I still feel as though I'm at a roadblock. I waste too much time doing nothing, but what do I really want to be doing? How should I be spending my days? This cold and darkness comes every year; I must stop using it as an excuse to hide away inside.



The sun was shining today. Encouraged by it's brilliance, I went for a walk, watching the chickadees, house sparrows, and cardinals fly and call in the park. Looking up, what really caught my eye were the whirly-copters from the maple trees. Near translucent against the blue sky. Big boots on, I climbed in the snow to take some pictures.



1 comment:

  1. The "swirlies" is a really beautiful shot. You seem to have a unique ability of finding beauty deep within the dead of winter.

    ReplyDelete