Wednesday, October 6, 2010

nomadic tendencies

A couple of months ago, on the heels of our last road trip, I was already getting the urge to go again. This idea of sticking put is irking to me - I simply feel like I'm missing too much by staying in place. Instead, I wish to sell all of my STUFF, horde the books and trinkets that I love at my mothers, and pack the rest in the car and GO. This time though, instead of leaving for a couple of weeks or a month with half the trip focused on getting home, I want to go back to my nomadic tendencies.

When that word - nomad - hit me, I felt like a genius. I'm going back to my roots, my ancient roots. I would become a new nomad like no other!

Except there are others. Lots of others. With lots of websites devoted to the idea of the New Nomad - a term I sadly did not invent. Many sites, like Nu NomadLaptop Hobo, and Business Backpacker focus on ways you can take your business, forcing you to rely on technology and wi-fi access to continue to support yourself. Photographers, travel writers, and bloggers are all technology-dependent travelers. There are also people who have terribly boring-sounding jobs like "database consulting,"  "affiliate marketing," and "freelance translation of technical documents"

And that's not a bad thing. However, I dream of a much more fluid lifestyle. Staying around for more than a day or two and seeing more than just the Golden Gate Bridge, Central Park, or Disney World. I want the freedom to come and go as I please. Work to feed and shelter myself and have the rest of my time as my own. This seems a harder ideal to maintain, albeit not impossible.

Couch Surfing: Connecting travelers with, duh, couches.
WWOOFing: Volunteer opportunities on organic farms around the world, in exchange for room&board
HelpX: Similar to WWOOFing, although the opportunities are more varied.

Other interesting sites worth checking out
Vagabondish
Nomadic Matt
Matador Network
Thrilling Heroics

And for the ladies
Do It While You're Young
Wanderlust and Lipstick


No comments:

Post a Comment